Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 20 - Tuesday

Finally back to updating.  Apologies for the delay - first it was lack of internet at home and then the weekend came and I was on the Big Island (more on that later).

Tuesday was a fruitful food day.  In the afternoon I had lunch with an associate at the firm at Grand Cafe and Bakery.  It's a bit of a walk from the office and it's pretty hidden.  I was going to walk right by the place because the facade was that of like an apartment.  Having done some Yelp research beforehand, I knew I wanted to order the cola braised short ribs.  The associate got the fish special.  I was impressed that the short ribs were so moist and a little sweet, but I expected a little more veggies.  I got the dish with rice instead of mashed potatoes.

  Cola braised short ribs

For the evening I decided to go to Shirokiya in Ala Moana Shopping Center.  This  place is like a Japanese department store on one floor and a Japanese prepared food market on the second floor.  The first floor with all the Japanese arts and crafts was so cute!!  Oh my goodness I'm going to go back and buy gifts there.

The food on the second floor was admittedly overwhelming.  There were several repeats of the same things - mochi, bentos, katsu, rolls, chicken wings.  It all looked good but I didn't know which to buy.  In the end I just got was looked good.  Although I didn't eat them all on Tuesday, I review it all right now.

The mochis were tasty, and they all looked so cute. 

Close-up of the persimmon shaped mochi

The chicken wings were okay, not too great. 

Pork katsu was okay, but I wasn't that impressed with the flavor for the price. 


Chicken katsu bento was very good, all the little sides were tasty and the katsu was crispy and not too oily. 


Shrimp tempura roll was super tasty.  The rice was soft and the sauce was good. 

2 comments:

  1. ooh so much tasty food. I want to try to mochi while we're there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo! I want that Mochi!

    ReplyDelete