Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 24 - Saturday July 3 - Kona/Puna - Big Island

Sorry for the delay - been busy/tired with clerkship stuff and other chores. But I hope to get back in the swing of things.

Woke up at like 5:50am on Saturday to see if we could go surfing (i.e. if Kimi could learn how to surf). The water was very calm and my uncle-in-law's assessment was that surfing wasn't going to happen. So, we hung out, had breakfast, and fed the chickens and pig.

Their pig named Dinner, can you guess why?

Chicken coop - their chickens' eggs are tasty

Their other 5 little chicks besides Poop Monster

After feeding we went to a hydroponic lettuce grower about 5 blocks away that has a small farm in the back of him home and sells a head of lettuce for $2. The lettuce, it turns out, is delicious!


At 10am we were down in Kailua-Kona where I went to Kamakahonu Beach and snorkeled in water. I didn't have flippers so when the water got a little rough I had to head more inshore, but man, it was awesome! It was very much like Sharks Cove with its awesome snorkeling but since it was beach it was a lot nicer to enter into than Sharks Cove. So many different kinds of fish and lots of little schools of Moorish Idols. But the coolest thing is that I SAW A SEA TURTLE! I haven't seen one since and this one totally caught me off guard. I saw something blue/green from the corner of my eye and I thought it was a big fish, so I turned towards it and BAM! green sea turtle swimming at me. It was only like 2-3 feet away from me! I was shocked but it seemed totally calm. Pretty good sized one too - not super big like the ones I saw in Australia laying eggs in the sand, but not a little one.

Kamakahonu Beach - Right by that little house on the water and beyond there are SO many fish.


After snorkeling I took a walk along the main street of Kailua-Kona and headed towards food.

Naturally I had done some Yelp research before my trip and determined that I had to try You Make the Roll. All the reviews said it was amazing food and super cheap. You can order pre-designed rolls or you can make your own from a set list of ingredients.

I made this one - Shrimp tempura, teriyaki chicken, avocado, lettuce, papaya. I liked all of this except the chicken's flavor was very overpowering. But these rolls were HUGE and there were 8 pieces.

Pre-designed shrimp tempura roll with cucumber and lettuce - very tasty and still absolutely huge.

I can usually eat two rolls without a problem but I couldn't finish these. My aunt and uncle-in-law had to help!

After food we went back to the house to get ready to go to the East side of the Big Island. They have a house in Pahoa, Puna (about 45 min south of Hilo) that we stayed in. The trip takes about 2.5 hours to make, and we cut through the middle of the island which is like total desert. I was so surprised.

Huh? That doesn't look like Hawaii...it's all volcanic rock and dessert scrub. The military trains soldiers here for Afghanistan.

It was absolutely pouring rain in Puna. We got some huli huli chicken (rotisserie) from a roadside stand for dinner. That combined with the hydroponic lettuce as salad and some fried rice. The chicken was tasty. But the salad was the key, the hydroponic lettuce was great! I was so impressed with how crispy and flavorful it was!


We then headed out to see the volcano! So back in April and May of this year the volcano erupted and totally wiped out the previous viewing area with lava - no joke. So now, you can't get real close. We walked up what was left of the old viewing area and could really only see a speck of red in the distance at the peak of the volcano, meaning that the volcano is alive and well.

My feet on lava rock, that's the closest I could get to lava. =)

But, there was a photographer, Leigh Hilbert, there who had captured the last lava flow through video and film, so we admired his photos and bought his video. Check out his blog for awesome pictures and video (scroll all the way down for video) of the lava!

Headed to bed early as the next day I would go out surfing for the first time...


No comments:

Post a Comment