Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 25 - Sunday July 4 - Puna/Kona, Big Island

Soooo, surfing.  My uncle-in-law took me out to a real local spot in Puna known locally as Pohoiki (Isaac Hale Beach Park) - nearly all Native Hawaiian people.  Felt like Hana.  It's pretty rocky over in that area with lots of volcanic rock.  The waves were about 2-3 feet.


Checking out the waves, my aunt in the foreground. 

Me and my uncle-in-law out in the water

I had no idea what I was doing but started trying to paddle.  Paddling is hard and tiring and the board is wobbly so my goal was not to fall off while paddling.  Luckily I didn't and my uncle seemed impressed.  He told me that when I catch a wave, to try to stand up.  But I had no idea what catching a wave meant. He pushed me into a wave and I totally "caught" it....on my stomach.  It was pretty scary but cool as well.  I tried again and couldn't catch it.  Then I was too tired and it got crowded, so we headed in.  It was an exciting and scary experience, I must say.

After the surfing my uncle-in-law showed me the spot where he used to surf in the 80s before the huge volcano eruption literally buried his favorite surf spot, Kaimu Bay.

What was Kaimu Bay is now all lava rock, when you see it in person, you can totally see what was once the bay.

We then got ready to head back to the other side of the island but made a stop over at Maku'u Farmer's Market first for lunch.

Lots of stands to buy food, drinks and little trinket at Maku'u Market

Ridiculously tasty chicken satay skewers I got there

Really disgusting pad thai from the same place as the chicken skewers, so disappointing after such tasty chicken.  They put so much ketchup in the noodles.  Yuck. 

This was different - a Portuguese sausage musubi.  This came from Malama Market in Pahoa which is like a Safeway and Whole Foods combined.  Not bad prices considering how isolated the area is.   

Once we were back in Kona, we took a nap until it was time to get ready for the Fourth of July parade where my aunt and uncle-in-law were going to march in on behalf of Senator Dan Inouye (who was also going to be there as the grand marshal.  The parade was a combination of local Kona folks like the Fire Department and Human Society, big whig people like BOTH Senator Inouye and Akaka, and political candidates for offices like governor, state assembly seats, etc.

Folks in preparation of the parade

My very blurry pic of Senator Inouye.  Now that he's 3rd in line of succession for the presidency, he had at least 4 Secret Service agents (in Aloha Shirts) at each corner of the car. 

Started to rain during the parade but that meant a rainbow over the water!

After the parade we went to an informal "picnic" dinner for all the Democratic candidates for office.  It was in this huge hale and there was great hula dancing and local music.  The politicians came around to talk to us but I explained that I couldn't vote.  The food was pretty bad though. 

Bad hot dog, weird tasting chicken wings, ok pasta salad and good watermelon was at the Democratic Party picnic. 

There was a fireworks display for the Forth of July, but it wasn't that exciting.  They seemed to have all the green fireworks right after another and all the blue ones back to back, so it was a little boring.  After the fireworks we headed out and I got some food at Blazin Steaks.

Two pork chops with mushrooms, brown rice, and salad for $6.  Pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment