Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 11 - Sunday - North Shore continued!

I woke up around 7am just out of habit, I think.  However, I was so sleepy and tired that I slept until 9:30am.  I then woke up, ate a chocolate peanut butter mochi for a light breakfast, and headed down the the water to do some snorkeling in Turtle Bay.  As a resort guest, you get 2 hours of snorkeling per room per day.  I was excited to get so much time.  However, when I got into the water, I was sorely disappointed.  The reef in this area is nonexistent, nearly.  The water was murky and there were hardly any fish.  There was a lot of this kind of sea plant that fish just didn't seem to like.  Also, unfortunately no turtles either.  I was so disappointed that I turned in my snorkel gear early and headed for a walk around the resort grounds.

This guy it at the northmost tip of the resort/island I think. 

Turtle Bay Resort has been voted hotel with the best view a few times. 

People surfing next to the resort

I then headed back to my room.  After showering, I sat out on my lanai for a while just appreciating the view.  I then went back to bed and watched Legally Blonde until it was time to check out at 12:30pm.  After checking out I went back to Ola for lunch.  I sat out on the beach again to enjoy a similar view as the day before while reading Dune again.  I ordered the hamburger with avocado slices.  The beef patty had mushroom and onions mixed in which I thought would be interesting, however I think the patty needed more salt and pepper.  The french fries were wonderful today too though.  

Similar view for lunch as the day before

    Palm tree I sat under

Ola burger and fries

Bye bye Turtle Bay Resort!

After lunch I went to the bus stop to wait for the next bus.  I was so relieved that it came so quickly!  But I was also sad to leave North Shore.  I really liked the area.  On the way up to North Shore I saw signs like "Keep the Country the Country" which demonstrated what a different mindset the people in the North Shore have about land the development.  I guess North Shore, especially segments of the ride up, reminded me a lot of Hana.  While it's bigger and more tourists around than in Hana, that same kind of feeling seemed to permeate the area.   

While I had a great time in North Shore, I was super tired.  I kind of dozed on the way back to the south side of the island.  The bus route ended at Ala Moana and before I got on another bus to go to Waikiki I decided to get some food since I was getting hungry.  Although I was tempted to get the curry again, I decided to get Yummy Korean BBQ which I had seen to have decent food court food.  Similar to Me's BBQ, you pick four sides and then order your meat.  I got the BBQ beef and chicken with greens, napa, chap chae and potatoes.  I was really impressed with their portions and with the flavor of the meat.  The sides were pretty good, although the potatoes were too sweet.  I saved over half of it for later. 



I finally got home and collapsed in bed to veg out and watch TV (Live Free of Die Hard) while I recuperated from my adventure.  I made noodles for dinner and ate some of the left over Korean food.  Then it was time for another episode of Cupcake Wars!        

1 comment: