Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 8 - Thursday

Busing today was a lot easier than in past days. Although I took a different numbered bus today in the morning, it was just the slower version of the bus I usually take. And on the way home, I picked up the bus immediately. Yay!

Anyway, the interesting thing that happened at work today was actually during lunchtime. One of the associates took the law clerks to the 9th Circuit to hear Judges Fletcher, Pregerson and Clifton speak after they heard oral argument for the Federal Bar CLE. I had never seen or heard any of these judges speak so that was really cool. Judges Fletcher and Pregerson are quite old, but Fletcher is such a well spoken person and she's just so sharp. Judge Pregerson rambled a bit about what history books we should read which I thought was hilarious. Judge Clifton was a lot younger than I realized and quite hip. The event was marketed as having "light refreshments", which turned out to be cookies and juice. I had forgotten this fact and packed a turkey sandwich and a PB&J sandwich thinking it was a brown bag event. I was really lucky I did since I would have thought light refreshments would have been like veggie platters and heavier foods than cookies.

On the way back from the 9th Circuit I stopped off at Jamba Juice for a Berry Yumberry smoothie with my gift card for winning 3rd place at that pool contest the first night. The smoothie is made of all fruit: yumberry juice (combo of acai, pear and blueberry), blueberries, mangoes and peaches. I like all of those things independently but I realize I don't like acai no matter how many times I try it.

After work the law clerks headed out to happy hour followed by dinner. Happy hour was at Indigo where there were $4 martinis that my fellow law clerks enjoyed and $1.75 Diet Coke that I partook in. The atmosphere was fun and our bartender rocked! She was so attentive and kept on refilling our waters/diet coke/drinks.

(some of the decor at Indigo)

(We went through a lot of glasses during our happy hour there)

We then headed around the corner to Little Village Noodle House for Chinese food. This place gets really high reviews on Yelp for the most part and so I was excited to try it. I was so glad we got 6 people to come (all 4 law clerks and 2 significant others) since that meant we could enjoy lots of different dishes. The order was:
  1. Lettuce wrap
  2. Chicken noodle with black bean sauce (basically pan fried noodles with chicken and peppers in a black bean sauce)
  3. Orange chicken (came out redder than most orange chickens but it was really crispy and juicy)
  4. Sweet and sour pork (similar consistency as the orange chicken and very tasty)
  5. Pan fried beef (tender beef that is breaded and deep fried in a kind of salt/pepper style)
  6. Seasonal veggies with tofu (basically broccoli, napa cabbage, shitake mushroom, baby carrots with fried soft tofu)
  7. Honey walnut shrimp (usually this dish has too much mayo but the Yelp reviews said it was good that they were right. it comes out light and crispy on a bed of fried rice noodles)
  8. Half order of special fried rice (aka yang chow fried rice that was pretty tasty)
    (lettuce wrap)

    (left to right: sweet and sour pork, veggies with tofu, orange chicken, chicken noodles with black bean sauce)

    (honey walnut shrimp)

    (special fried rice)

    Luckily all the dishes were solid. The portions were kind of small for the price but I guess this place knows it's pretty popular and can get away with the higher pricing. I'm glad the food was so good making the slightly high prices worth it. We finished off nearly everything.

    The bus back home pulled up soon after we walked out of the restaurant.  It was a bit of a commute back home and then when I got back I started researching things to do this weekend.  My shoulder is still kind of sore so I won't be doing surf lessons, but I think I'll trek up to North Shore on Saturday.  

    1 comment: