Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 13 - Tuesday

Today upon my arrival to work I saw an assignment placed on my seat. Turns out it's due Wednesday at 12pm! So unfortunately today was spent working working and staying late doing more working (but it's Hawaii so staying late meant working until 7pm).

I did break for lunch and got food from Bishop Street Cafe. It's literally right in front of my building across this courtyard so it's the easiest place to get to and it was absolutely packed with people! Checking out their menu, I can see why. Everything is like $5-7 which is a steal in downtown. I followed the Yelp reviews and got the Chicken Katsu Curry Don. I know, I just had pork katsu yesterday, but I can't resist curry, especially for $6.50! The portion was absolutely huge for lunch and they give you pretty decent miso soup too. I only ate half of the katsu curry don for lunch and saved the second half for a snack at 5pm when I knew I would be staying for a couple more hours. Yum, if only I had some hot pepper to make it spicy. The katsu was crispy and juicy and the curry was flavorful without being too salty.


I did have a weird experience at Bishop St. Cafe where the person taking my order (a tall Caucasian man with a local accent) looked at my credit card and said "oh, Kimiko, you must have come over here as a child, eh? Or has some old school parents?" I got a little hissy and snapped back, "Nope, born in Los Angeles and 4th generation Japanese American" (without the Hawaiian accent I usually infuse into my speech with locals). He looked surprised. Shrug, I like my name, and that kinda thing seemed weird coming from someone just looking at my credit card.

After work I just headed home, ate the last part of my Yummy Korean BBQ leftovers with some eggs and watched Cupcake Wars! The vegan cupcake maker won! Yay! I also did some research on places to go this weekend but traveling to Molokai is not worth it based on the flights (would have to fly in Saturday morning instead of Friday night) and Lanai's hotels are astronomically expensive. I think it'll be another weekend on Oahu. I'm thinking I should make an effort to go find some cheap groceries at Asian markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment