Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 2 - Friday

Woke up today around 9am to someone banging on pipes in another apartment. I learned later on that an apartment was getting renovated, I think on my floor even.

The SPAM musubi from Iyasume Musubi was good today for breakfast. I then went for a morning run but even by 10am it was sunny and hot. I didn't run that far or that much, but luckily the route had water fountains along the way. I got back and vegged out for a while, I was so tired. I watched Night at the Museum and caught up with friends online.

Then I got a 30min foot massage at Kenko Shokushin. It was a really cool reflexology massage. The masseuse was really nice and he commented "Oh, your back is really tight" as he massaged my foot. That was pretty hilarious since he was absolutely right. Various other places of my foot hurt and I've deduced that I'm a mess. I got a 10% discount since I'll be in town for a while and they wanted me to come back. I think I will because I liked it and felt more relaxed afterwards.

On the way back from the massage I checked out Ruffage Natural Foods. The store part was super small but they had some natural soap and lip balm that I bought. The sandwiches were pretty pricey so I didn't get one today. Just around the corner is Me's BBQ and I got their BBQ chicken plate that comes with two scoops of rice and your choice of four sides. I didn't get the macaroni salad because I forgot that this place is the place Yelp said had good salad, so I guess I'll have to go back. The portions are huge and the chicken was good but not amazing. This place has pictures of their food all along the walls and the breakfasts look great, so I think I'll come back for breakfast during the work week.


Had dinner plans with a fellow summer associate, but the moment I closed my locked door I realized my keys were inside. DOH! I had to call my apartment manager to get the door unlocked which required him to come out from downtown (about 40 min away in traffic) to open the door. I was so embarrassed. While we were waiting for my manager to come unlock the door, my friend and I walked around Kalakaua because there was the Pan-Pacific Festival going on that shut down this busy street. Taiko drumming everywhere! It was really fun to listen to the music and check out the foods and crafts stands.


Once keys were successfully retrieved we went to Menchanko-Tei for ramen! She doesn't eat any pork, not even soup, so I was worried that ramen was not going to work out (she's never had ramen so I wanted her to try it). Luckily the shoyu ramen here is made from chicken stock. We ordered shoyu ramen and a couple oden. I tried the mochi wrapped in tofu and fried tofu oden. The mochi one was disappointing because the mochi was so disintegrated. The fried tofu was pretty good. The broth of the oden was very tasty. And the ramen was GREAT!! The shoyu broth was fresh and clean tasting, not oily. And the noodles were al dente just the way I like them. I'm definitely coming back to try their menchanko, which is sort of like ramen but a thicker noodle. Service was excellent as well and the food came out very quickly.



After a delightful dinner we headed to the Moana Surfrider Hotel's Beach Bar for drinks. But not before stopping to get some kettle corn back at the festival. I had a Virgin Tropical smoothie that has like coconut creme, strawberries, pineapple and papaya. We listened to a local playing hapa haole and popular songs on his acoustic/electric guitar. Everything from Jason Mraz to "Tiny Bubbles." I was sad that he didn't play any contemporary Hawaiian pop music but I guess that's not the right audience for that kinda music. Headed out of there at about 11pm. Tomorrow I'm planning on running in sand, hopefully I don't hurt myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment