Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 3 - Saturday

Pretty lazy day today. Even though I woke up at like 10:30am I didn't get out of my pajamas until 1pm. Watched Next the movie on cable which was a pretty silly movie. I finally hauled myself out of the apartment and headed down to Kuhio Beach Park to go swimming. I had bought some goggles with the hope that I would be able to swim laps in the tamer waters in this area. When I got there it was already 1:30pm and the beach was pretty packed. Since this area is protected from waves because of the rock wall, there are a lot of kids and senior citizens wading around. As I was trying to swim I realized that my shoulder hasn't fully healed from my attempt to move my huge CRT TV out of my Stanford apartment and so I wasn't able to take an strokes. I spent the next half hour on my back kicking my legs in an attempt to get some exercise. It was pretty productive since my legs are sore now. Also, according to my masseuse yesterday, salt water is good for your muscles since it helps to restore balance to your body. I didn't run on sand today because I missed low tide (9am) which is the best time to run.


After my swim and a shower I headed out to get some gyoza and musubi. I tried the musubi from Iyasume Musubi warm today and it turns out I think I like their musubi not warm. When it's warm the rice falls apart to much. I walked around for a while with rice on my shirt since it had fallen apart and I hadn't noticed. Whoops.



Gyoza no Ohsho was closed so I went back to my apartment and organized my clothes in the proper drawers while I watched Transformers on cable. I finally got my luggage under the bed and out of the way so the place is feeling a lot more open now.

In the evening Gyoza no Ohsho was open and I finally got gyoza! The only have three types on the menu (boiled, pan friend, and cheese). On Yelp their ramen was questionable so I just ordered the boiled and the pan fried gyoza. It was a pretty good deal at $4.25 for 6 gyoza. The boiled ones came in a weak soy sauce broth that I didn't like, so I mixed up a sauce made of gyoza sauce, chili oil and shichimi. The boiled ones were not that great by themselves but with the sauce they were quite tasty. The pan fried gyoza were wonderful by themselves. The first one I bit into actually squirted out juice. They were rich in flavor and after the first one I ate the others in one bite so that I enjoyed the juice inside.



The Pan-Pacific Festival continued today with a hula show right by my apartment at Kuhio Beach Park. I watched two different hula halaus (hula schools) perform sets of three songs each. Both halaus came from Japan where hula is apparently really popular. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed with either group that much, but the first was worse than the second. In the first group the dancers weren't in unison at all and they kept on bouncing up and down when they weren't supposed to. Their kumu (teacher) performed and she was super bouncy and was actually dancing faster than the music. The second group was in unison which was impressive, but their kumu's solo was awful. She kind of just took big steps all over the stage without much regard for her hand movements and footwork. Oh wells, it was nice to see that people in Japan want to dance hula and perform.



I grabbed a steak plate from Blazin Steaks which is right next to my apartment since the gyozas were great but not enough to call dinner. I'm impressed that this place serves brown rice that's actually tasty. Their steak was tender and I ate it with Korean BBQ sauce and Sriracha. I was so hungry that I forgot to take a pic of it though. Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment