Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 16 - Friday

Sorry for the delay.  Similarly to last weekend I spent this Friday night figuring out what to do over the weekend, so I wasn't able to update.

Friday was a very fruitful food day!  A paralegal at the firm was kind enough offer to pick up bentos for anyone who wanted from K's Bentoya. K's is pretty far away so there was no way I would be able to get there myself for a lunch.  The bentos there are quite Hawaiian.

   Clockwise from the top left - fried chicken, teriyaki hotdog, tofu, inari, luncheon meat (not spam), musubi, shimp, sushi, corned beef hash, rice ball.

Everything is so cute in the bento!  I loved to just look at it.  I got to work a little early so I was hungry hungry by like 11am.  I snacked a little on the bento, and saved the rest in the refrigerator since it turned out that I got invited to lunch with a director and associate!  I didn't ruin my appetite for some exciting food from Hukilau.  Hukilau is actually a restaurant that started in Northern California by Hawaiian guys (I actually had a birthday at the Palo Alto location that is now closed).  We had kalua pork egg rolls and sweet potato fries for appetizers.  I ordered the skirt steak salad for lunch.

Mmm, so tasty.  The steak was a teriyaki flavor that was really tender.  

Lunch was so good but the tasty food just continued.  During work in the afternoon one of the legal secretaries had a huge bag of kettle corn that was being passed around the office.  The first bite made the corn stick to my teeth which I hate, but then the second handful was perfect - sweet and crunchy without getting stuck to my teeth! 


After work I headed over to Ross to try to get some more work clothes.  Unfortunately I only found one shirt there.  By Ross there's a Japanese restaurant that makes their own udon noodles called Go Shi Go.  I'm always a fan of homemade noodles, so I went there after shopping at Ross.  I got their dinner special which consists of a bowl of udon noodles and a bowl of rice with grilled steak, seaweed and pickled veggies.  


The noodles were definitely great.  They were not over cooked but also chewy.  The soup was disappointing though as it wasn't very flavorful.  I guess I've been so spoiled by really tasty ramen soups that this udon soup was underwhelming.  The steak was unfortunately very tough.  The rice was great and all the ingredients mixed up was tasty, but after such tender steak during lunch, this tough stuff was so disappointing.  

After dinner I walked down to a restaurant called HALE (pronounced "ha-le") which specializes in macrobiotic foods.  I still have no idea what that even means but the important thing is that there are vegan desserts there!  I got the macha green tea cake with vanilla soy ice cream.  The cake was warm and not too sweet but with a strong green tea flavor.  It was a little bitter but overall it worked well with the vanilla ice cream.  Unfortunately it was not worth $8, but I think there would be potential for other desserts there.  

      
After dinner I walked over to Nordstrom Rack which meant overall I walked about 1.5 miles from Ross to Nordstrom Rack.  And it started to rain on the walk!  Well, I made it over to Nordstom Rack to find some more work clothes, but all the clothes I tried were disappointing and I walked out without any new clothes.  After shopping I waited for the bus, headed home, and then started figuring out what to do over the weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment