Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 19 - Monday

Ah, Mondays are always a little hard.  I was pretty sleepy when I woke up so I actually drank a cup of coffee at work, after about a year without any coffee.  The good thing about drinking coffee after such a long drought is that it's very effective.  I perked up quite well and worked through the morning.

Then lunchtime!  All the law clerks rallied for an outside lunch, very exciting.  Usually we can get 2 or 3 of us out to lunch, but rarely do all 4 of us get out together, so this was special.  Upon my suggestion based on good ol' Yelp, we went to Cafe Grazie for lunch, a small Italian place that serves a pastas special, paninis and salads.  I wanted the chicken breast panini, but after an extended conversation I learned there was Parmesan in the pesto.  Sadness.  So I got their pasta special which was grilled veggies in marinara with angel hair pasta.  It comes with a salad and bread too.

 

Even though the pasta was in a small container, it was absolutely stuffed and was a deceptively large portion of delightful vegan pasta.  The veggies were really tasty and the pasta was pretty good.  The marinara was sort of regular, nothing special.  It was nice to have something different for lunch from the standard sandwich or my fall back of Japanese food.

The afternoon went on.  Dinner became kind of a dilemma because I didn't know what to eat.  Meaty?  Noodles?  Asian?  Even though I had noodles for lunch, I really wanted soupy noodles.  I know, I eat too much noodles.  But anyway, I thought about maybe going to Zippy's for their zip min which I hear is super tasty. Granted Zippy's is like Hawaiian fast food, but it's hearty fast food.  I decided to go to the one near where I live so I could walk there for exercise.  But when I got to Zippy's I realized that I was really close to Onos!  One quick call to my GPS (aka Peter) confirmed that Onos was only 2 blocks away, so I skipped the Zippy's and headed to Ono Hawaiian Foods, one of the most famous places to get Hawaiian food on the island.  The last time I had Onos was for my 22nd birthday when I was in Oahu working for Google.  The line outside Onos was so long, but luckily that was for sit-in, and I was getting take out.  The wait was only about 20 minutes for take out and I left with delicious kalua pork with rice, pipikaula (beef jerkey-ish meat), and lomi salmon (not my thing).  The prices were definitely more than I remember (now $14.90!!) but I guess if they can charge that much and still have a line then they can do it.


I walked back to my place and decided to make that seaweed soup from yesterday into a base for ramen.  That way I would add some kalua pork and the pipikaula into the soup with noodles!  

My own creation - soup from Seoul Jung, kalua pork and pipikaula from Onos, and Ichiban ramen.  Yum!

I felt good to make my meal, even if it was really just assembling stuff from other places together.  I love to cook but it just doesn't seem worth it here when there's so much great food to explore in a short amount of time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment