Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 18 - Sunday

Got some much needed sleep after my Kailua adventure and this past week at work. I slept for 12 hours! Whee!

I got up with a strong desire for breakfast, even though it was in the afternoon. I had wanted to go get breakfast last night for dinner, but I didn't want to take the bus all the way over to the other side of Waikiki where there is a 24 hour diner, or spend a lot of money on mediocre food at Denny's. Anyway, I got my breakfast craving satisfied today.

I got on the bus and headed to Bogart's Cafe, which is a place that serve breakfast all day. I was worried about the wait, but luckily I went at an off hour and although it was packed, I got there just as someone was leaving so I snagged a table. I ordered a breakfast bagel sandwich with Portuguese sausage on an onion bagel. Their breakfast bagels are supposed to be the best in Honolulu, but I'm not sure how many places were competing for that title. I also got a side of country-style potatoes.

Breakfast bagel comes with egg, tomato, spinach, and you can order a meat for $1.85 more.

A very very large bowl of country-style potatoes

The breakfast bagel was really good. I really liked that they put spinach in the sandwich. I was disappointed by the amount of meat - they gave like chopped up bits of Portuguese sausage that definitely could not be tasted with every bite, so not worth the $1.85 extra. But the bagel itself was impressive - dense and doughy - similar to NY bagels but not quite the same. The potatoes were tasty but it would have been better if they were crispy. I was pretty potatoed out from the day before so I saved half the potatoes to take home.

I decided to also order lunch there. I wanted to have an easy day today where I just hung around the house and their menu was so extensive. I was tempted to try another breakfast item for lunch, but instead opted for the crab cake and avocado sandwich. This was a patty of real fresh crab pan fried and then placed in a sandwich with avocado, tomato and lettuce. I ordered it to go, and took from pictures of it when it was fresh.


Even several hours later the sandwich was SO GOOD! Oh man, the crab was really delightful. I enjoyed this even more than the breakfast bagel.

I left Bogart's around 4pm and wanted to grab the bus, but the buses never came. I'm not sure if I was on the wrong side or what, but anyway, it's not a far walk, one mile to be exact, so I decided to walk home after waiting a long time for the bus. This route was part of the route I had taken that first weekend I was here when I got off the bus prematurely and had to walk through Kapiolani Park with Whole Foods groceries. Luckily today was much cooler and my load was much lighter, so the walk back home was quite easy.

After puttering around in the late afternoon and early evening I wanted to grab some dinner next door at the Korean food place, Seoul Jung. As I left my place I realized I hadn't brought my keys with me, locking myself out! Ugh, this was the second time I have done this. I felt so bad as I called the manager who had to come down and unlock the door for me. He lives in downtown so it was a bit of a trek. I quickly went to order my food in Seoul Jung before he got there. Seoul Jung is located on the second floor of a hotel right next to my building and it's a pretty fancy looking restaurant, but hardly anyone was inside. I ordered the bee bim bop. Usually it would come with little side dishes but since this was take out it didn't. I did get some sort of meat-based soup with a lot of seaweed that was pretty tasty.

Saved most of the soup for later to cook with ramen noodles!

Very tasty bee bim bop. I wasn't impressed with the restaurant's hot sauce, so I took some Sriacha sauce from Blazin' Steaks. It was perfect after that.

I hung out on a corner by my apartment eating my food and waiting for the manager to arrive. Someone eventually went into the building and then I followed them in to wait in the lobby. By the time the manager came I was pretty tired and then just hung out in my room watching some TV and of course, updating the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment