Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 14 - Wednesday

What a gloomy day today! It started out quite sunny and by the time we stopped working it was raining quite hard!

Woke up early today to get on the bus and head to Safeway to buy ingredients for a salad. The four law clerks were getting together that evening to have a BBQ and I was tasked with making the salad. I got a bag of spinach, bag of romaine medley, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and avocado! Safeway, while more expensive than Safeways at home, was noticeably cheaper than the Food Pantry and Whole Foods. If I get my act together I'll go here to shop for some groceries again soon.

Work was super busy today. I finished up that quick turnaround assignment and got another big assignment before that last one was even done. But I'm glad to stay busy as it's a more realistic feeling of what law firm life is actually like.

Lunch was super delicious today. We went to Mix Cafe which is an Italian sandwich shop. They have the sandwiches already made and then they put it into the oven to crisp and heat. I got the turkey sandwich which consisted of seasoned dark turkey meat (not processed lunch meat turkey) and tomatoes on ciabatta bread. The sandwich comes with a salad and balsamic vinaigrette. I was really impressed with the spongy yet crispy consistency of the ciabatta bread and the moist heartiness of the turkey. It felt like I was eating a fancy Italian style "Thankgiving leftovers" sandwich, mostly because that's the only time I eat real turkey.

Yum, real dark meat turkey

The sandwich is really big and I ate it all.

It began to rain pretty hard during the afternoon and it got super gray. I have to say that having such large windows when it's gray and gloomy does not really improve the spirit like looking out on happy blue skies and water.


The gloomy weather meant that the law clerk BBQ was pushed indoors rather than out in one of the clerk's building's garden/deck area. The apartment she's subletting is something I imagine a grandma would have. Cats everywhere! Real cats, cat figurines, etc. And the owner has just so much stuff. Books, plates, chairs, fake flowers, piles of canned food, paintings of sunflowers, Asian art and wall scrolls...lots and lots of stuff with lots of character. Naturally my cat allergy kicked up a little so I resisted petting the cat even when it would rub up against me.

Appetizers were Triscuits, spinach dip, hummus (you can see a little of the volume of stuff the owner has in the china cabinet in the back. No other photos of the apartment since I didn't have permission from the owner)

Salad I assembled - spinach, romaine medley, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado. Balsamic Italian dressing. There was way too much salad.

The law clerk's boyfriend is a great chef and grilled meat and veggie skewers (peppers, tomato, onion, pineapple) in the rain. Very hardcore.

My delicious dinner plate. From the top clockwise: Salad, veggie skewer, sausage, beef, chicken, brown rice.

Dessert was cookies from Honolulu Cookie Co., strawberries and cherries.

Oh man it was a good dinner. The meat was marinaded in a kind of apple cider reduction with some pineapple thrown in that made it sweet but not overbearing. The sausages were especially tasty as the saltiness of the sausage mixed well with the sweetness of the marinade. So yummy.

After dinner I got a ride with a law clerk since it was still raining! Actually did a little more work upon coming home from dinner and planning on getting up early tomorrow to head into work early since this new project will require a lot of time. Whew, busy busy.





1 comment:

  1. mm looks so healthy! Hope the rain was at least refreshing and everything will be super green tomorrow. =)

    ReplyDelete